Today farmers need an effective new technology that can continuously increase productivity and profit stability and this technology is greenhouse technology. Greenhouse technology can protect plants from natural disasters such as rains, hurricanes, pest-borne diseases and excessive heat and provide a favorable environment for crops.
Greenhouse technology can create an ideal environment around plants, where at any time, in any place, any plant can get maximum production with minimum effort by creating favorable environmental conditions.
The greenhouse can be built in at least one acre i.e. 4000 meters (40 knots) as per government rule. Considering the benefits of high-tech farming in the greenhouse, it is eligible for subsidy from the Government of India as well as the Government of Gujarat.
The best use of water, fertilizer and medicine in the greenhouse by drip method is to prevent wastage of all three and weeds have to be minimized due to non-availability of water and fertilizer in the space other than plants.
The benefits of greenhouses
1. Greenhouse technology can create an ideal environment around the plant to produce 10-12 times more than the traditional open cultivation of the crop.
2. Greenhouse technology allows easy production of vegetables and fruits throughout the year, even in the off-season.
3. Chemicals, drugs and pesticides are used properly and effectively with greenhouse technology.
4. The quality of greenhouse crops is much higher than that of conventional crops
How much help is available
500 sq.m. to 4000 sq.m. for setting up a greenhouse. Up to a maximum of 50 per cent of the total expenditure is given to the farmers as well as 15 per cent of the total expenditure is given to the general farmers and 25 per cent to the farmers of Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes.
- Estimated cost of Rs.150 / sq.m. (for area up to 500 sq.m.)
Estimated cost of Rs.12 / sq.m. (> from 201 sq.m. to 1008 sq.m.)
- Estimated cost of Rs.150 / sq.m. (> 1008 / sq.m. to 2050 sq.m.)
- Rs.1200 / sq.m (> 2050 / sq.m. to 2000 sq.m.)
- For hilly area 15% more of the above cost will have to be considered.